Remote Placement Testing
Students who live a considerable distance from the BSU campus (100 miles or greater) may opt to take their mathematics and reading placement exams remotely, at a qualified institution of their choice. If you live within 100 miles of campus, you must report to BSU to take your placement exams. To take advantage of this service and arrange a remote placement testing session in your area, follow the steps below.
Students may only take their placement exams remotely at the following types of institutions:
- Community Colleges
- Trade/Technical Schools
- High Schools
- Public Libraries
- Military Bases
- Professional Testing Centers
We recommend visiting the National College Testing Association's official website and using their Consortium of College Testing Centers lookup tool to locate a college testing center near you. If you have any questions, or would like to know if a particular institution is qualified to administer the exam, give us a call at 508-531-1780.
- Provide complete, accurate information on the Student Request form;
- Schedule their remote placement testing appointment themselves before their orientation date;
- Present a current, government-issued photo ID to their proctor on test day;
- Pay any administrative fees required by their designated institution;
- Refrain from using any electronics (including cell phone, calculator, tablet, etc.) during the exams;
- Follow all protocol outlined by the proctor on test day.
- Communicate using an institutional e-mail system (no GMAIL, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.);
- Have computers that are connected to the Internet;
- Use an Internet browser that is able to display pop-ups;
- Provide a secure, quiet testing space with minimal distractions;
- Ensure that a proctor is on-duty at all times during the test session;
- Follow all protocol outlined in the Proctor Security Agreement and proctor instructions.
To arrange a remote placement testing session, follow these five steps:
Contact the qualified institution of your choice to determine if they administer correspondence exams from other institutions, and schedule your appointment with them.
Download, complete, and submit the Student Request for Remote Testing form to email@example.com for review. Click here to download the form.
We will then send a Proctor Security Agreement form to the institution you designated on your Student Request form, which they will complete and submit to us. Allow several business days for your institution to process and return this form.
Once we receive the completed security agreement, we will e-mail the test instructions and administration materials to your designated institution within one business day.
- Arrive on your scheduled exam date to take your exams. Upon completion, your scores will be stored automatically in our database. You have then completed your placement testing and are ready for orientation.