News & Events
At a ceremony held in the campus center's large ballroom, BSU presented its annual Alumni Association Awards to eight of its most distinguished alumni and campus community members for their professional and personal achievements, and their dedication to community service.
(See below story for a full list of the award recipients.)
"I am deeply honored to serve as your alumni president and so proud of each of our Bridgewater graduates who will be honored this evening," said Annmarie Greco Tierno, '92, president of the university's alumni association, as she welcomed more than 200 guests to the ceremony.
"You have accomplished so much in your personal and professional lives and all Bridgewater graduates are grateful to you for your service and contributions, which reflect well on us, your fellow alumni," added Ms. Tierno.
In remarks preceding the ceremony, Shana Murrell, director of alumni relations, said the Alumni Association has more than 50,000 members worldwide, with 40,000 living in Massachusetts and representing a wide range of professions. "The diversity of experience and accomplishments of all of our graduates is reflected in all of our award recipients this evening," she said.
Recipient James Argir, '61, a former school superintendent who has been active in alumni affairs at BSU for more than half a century, summed up the feelings expressed by other 2012 awardees. "It is such a great pleasure to be here, because Bridgewater is a very special place in my heart and I have very many fond memories of my student days here," he said. "I am immensely proud, and deeply humbled, to be included among such contributors to this university as those who join me in being recognized at this year's awards ceremony."
Mr. Argir is past recipient of the Nicholas P. Tillinghast Award for Achievement in the Field of Education. This year, he earned the Dr. George A. Weygand Award for Outstanding Service to the Bridgewater Alumni Association. (David K. Wilson, '71, University Advancement)
The eight Alumni Association Award recipients:
- Dr. Philip Conroy, '72, president of Vermont Technical College, recipient of the Nicholas P. Tillinghast Award for Achievement in the Field of Education
- John Harper, director of athletics and recreation at BSU, recipient of the Martha D. Jones Award for Outstanding Dedication to Students
- Brendan Kearney, G '04, superintendent in chief of the City of Boston's Emergency Medical Service, recipient of the Dr. Marilyn White Barry Graduate Alumni Award
- Jacqueline Tucker, '90, former president of the Afro-American Alumni Association, recipient of the Afro-American Alumni Association Award
- Anne Heywood, '90 artist and author, recipient of the Dr. Adrian Tinsley Award for Achievement in the Arts
- Beverly Beckham, '68, G'76, columnist for The Boston Globe and former columnist and editorial writer for the Boston Herald, recipient of the Dr. Adrian Rondileau Award for Professional Achievement and Community Service
- James Argir, '61, member of the Alumni Association Board and Alumni Football Council and former trustee for the Bridgewater Foundation, recipient of the Dr. George A. Weygand Award for Outstanding Service to the Bridgewater Alumni Association
- Dr. James Leone, '01, assistant professor of health in the BSU's Department of Movement Arts, Health Promotion, and Leisure Studies, recipient of the Dr. Catherine Comeau Award for Professional Achievement